THE SCHOOL MOTTO
Non Sibi Sed Omnibus - Not for Self but for All
In 1816, the Anglican Church Missionary Society opened a small private school for girls in the mountainside village of Charlotte in Sierra Leone with only eight students on the roll.
The school began with a vision to educate and train young African girls in pursuit of excellence in all areas, including high academic performance, sound discipline and a solid Christian foundation.
Annie Walsh, for whom the school is named, was a young English girl whose dream was to work in Africa as a missionary. Sadly, she died in a tragic accident before fulfilling her dream.
Her parents established the Annie Walsh Memorial Fund which was added to monies collected by the Christian Missionary Society of the Anglican Church and used to erect the first school buildings.
In 1865, the school moved to its present location in Freetown on Kissy Road, and was formally named the Annie Walsh Memorial School in 1878.
The School's Mission
To train young African girls in pursuit of excellence in all areas, including high academic performance, sound discipline and a solid Christian foundation.
Academic excellence has been one of the major thrusts of the School over the years. For example, the following 'firsts' in the country are products of the school. The 1st girl to gain the full Cambridge School Certificate in West Africa (1928): Ethel Thomas (Ashwood)The 1st female Bachelor of Arts from Fourah Bay College: Lati Hyde-ForsterThe 1st female Medical Doctor: Irene Wellesley-Cole (Ighodaro)The 1st female Barrister-at-Law: Stella Thomas (Marke)The 1st female Astronautical Engineer: Estelle Coker (Eke)